Sunday, March 6, 2011

RR finished!

I finished my piece for Arlette's RR.  It will be in the mail on Monday.  I'm enjoying this RR and al the different piece that everyone has chosen.  My piece is the one in the bottom right.  Now I'm working on a model piece for a new designer "Flowers 2 Flowers". 


I started my new classes this week.  Boy, are they rough!  I had 200 (yes, I said 200!) pages of text and problems in Algebra, as well as 2 discussion questions to answer and reply to every day.  Then I had to take a test.  My World Cultures class was much easier.  I had to write 2 papers, not a big deal.  So I thought!  I got the grade back on the first paper.  While the instructor gave me 30 out of 30 points for it, she said that in the future I should use our text as the main source, that I obviously hadn't gotten it yet, and use APA format for citations and references.  Now, first, the only other source I used besides our text was Webster's Dictionary.  The textbook was quoted and referenced in my paper.  Second, she gave us a template that she wanted us to use for our papers.  I downloaded the template and saved it to my computer, then typed the paper directly into the template.  For my references, I used the Center for Writing Excellence that is on the left of our screens when we sign into the classroom.  They have an APA reference & citation generator so that you know you're doing it right.  You plug in the information and they format.  I responded to her critique and gave her all this information.  I asked her if she could show me the proper way to do it (since obviously the way I've been doing it for the last 2 years is not acceptable).  Her response is that Webster's Dictionary is not appropriate to use in our class because it is too simplistic (one of the requirements for the paper was the definition of 'art' and it was not in our textbook).  Her response to the APA portion was this:

     "And in regards to the APA, I was just trying to give you a heads up that you are missing some of the formatting intricacies. Take a look at the templates and try to identify how your paper looks different from the template." 

I have no clue.  I typed the paper directly into her template so they look exactly alike.  I guess I'll just have to keep doing what I'm doing.  If she starts marking my papers down for not following the correct format, I'll have to push harder as to specifics.

Mariah's 1st swimming lesson went very well yesterday.  There are 2 other little girls in her class.  For the first time ever, she actually played in the water without clinging to someone!  I was so excited!  She cried & cried before the lesson because she didn't want to do it.  Now she wants Saturday to hurry up and get here so that she can go again!  A funny note, I bought her a new swimsuit which happens to be a bikini.  It's really cute on her.  I was helping her put the top on yesterday and she said that it looks just like a bra, but without the bumps! 

I finished "Quilter's Legacy" on Friday.  Now I'm listening to 'Sizzling Sixteen' by Janet Evanovich.  I love Stephanie Plum!!  Granny kills me.  And Ranger, well, we'll just leave him in our imaginations. . . mmmmmmmm. :)

Well, that's my week.  How was yours?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your finish.

    Good luck with your new semester of school. I used Purdue Owl for my citations.

    ReplyDelete