Monday, February 28, 2011

Whew! Finally, a breather!

The last week has been nuts!  It was my last week of classes for the semester so I had a big project due for each class.  Got both of those submitted by Friday evening and now I'm just waiting on the grades.  So far, I have an A in both classes, so I'm not tooo worried!

Thursday night I had my one-stroke painting class.  I still need a lot more practice doing the butterflies.  They're cute, but nothing like the instructor's were.  But, I loved doing the daffodils!


Friday was our IEP meeting at Mariah's school.  I have to say, for about two hours afterward I felt like the world's worst mom.  Mariah is seriously backwards socially and is serious danger of needing psychological care.  According to the school.  Apparently, putting black olives on your fingers and pretending they are finger puppets is unacceptable lunchroom behavior.  So is reading a book during free time and fanning it to your imaginary class while you're playing school.  They can't sit her with a group because after a couple of weeks she and whoever she's sitting with start arguing.  They can't sit her in the front row because her talking to herself and hand movements distracts the other kids behind her.  Um, ok, I'm not a teacher yet, but I'm thinking that if I was I would put her in the back row!  She is 7 and has ADHD!!  She can't sit still and focus for long periods of time!  I'm so glad that we've made the decision to homeschool her next year!

Saturday, she had her swimming assessment.  The instructor has worked very successfully with autistic children and said he doesn't see any problems with her learning to swim.  She starts lessons next Saturday!

Today, I met with the small group for the homeschool co op that Mariah is joining.  There are 10 other kids in the small group, ranging from 4 - 8 yrs old.  Today, they played dress up and had a tea party.  I think Mariah's going to fit in just fine!

I finished the model project I was working on.  Now I can work on the RR piece that I'm hoping to have finished by this weekend. 

I finished reading Joanne Fluke's 'Gingerbread Cookie Mystery'.  Great read!  Now I'm reading 'The Murder Room' by Michael Capuzzo. 

Well, 'Castle' is about to start.  I'm going to sit down and enjoy a cup of chocolate cherry coffee and a carrot cupcake that Mariah made and stitch while watching TV.  Good night all!

9 comments:

  1. All sounds mad - and Mariah sounds much like my Eoin - in the end I have to pay for swimming lessons privately, as he was always in trouble for disrupting the class :( I don't think he's a bad problem, but other people do :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're both just kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's such a shame that society is so worried about kids having everything structured, they can never fully develop their imaginations anymore. I hope home schooling works out better for Mariah. She sounds like a sweetie and just needs a different approach to learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you like Gingerbread Bread Cookie Mystery? I didn't carefor it to much...didn't seem like her other books at all. Maybe it was just so short??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked HER story. The other 2 stories in the book were by other authors and I didn't care for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy homeschooling! I think you'll both do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the swimming lessons goes well.
    Your painting is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished my last week of school, too! What a hectic week. I hope the swimming lessons go well, and the homeschooling too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, guys! Meari, I started algebra on Monday. We have 200 (no, that's not a typo) pages of text each week for the next 18 weeks. So far, I've done 300 problems and still have 97 pages of text left for this week! I'm in sooooooooo much trouble!!

    ReplyDelete