Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Job From H*** Continues

I'm working this temp assignment.  It started out to be a 2 day, 4 hours a day assignment.  That was back in October.  Now it's 7 hours of h*** a day.  I talked to the manager yesterday, fully intending to tell her that now that she had hired someone Friday needed to be my last day.  She had already spoken to Office Team and got approved for another week for me.  Ok, I'll deal with1 more week, but I made it quite clear that that would be it!  I have my tutoring assignments to set up, lesson plans to write, my basic skills test to take, and MY classes start up again April 10! 

To show you how stressful this job is, Monday she handed me a large box of promotional flyers.  She told me that they needed to get out to all the car dealers, but that she wanted about 20 left here in the office.  They have 97 dealers and there were 90 flyers.  So, I told her I could make 20 copies and use the copies for some of the dealers.  She said that would be great.  I sat all afternoon on Monday and all morning on Tuesday handwriting envelopes, stuffing them, and licking the envelopes sealed.  I asked her for stamps and she said that they were in Princess's office and she was on a special project so she would put them on later.  I handed her the box with the 97 stuffed and sealed envelopes and went back to my desk.  I then heard her ask 'Are these the promotional flyers?'  I walked back to her doorway and said yes.  She looked at me and said 'You know, you could have emailed them.'  Are you kidding me????

However, last night made it all better.  At least temporarily.  My BFF is working as a waitress at the new Paula Deen's Kitchen in Joliet.  This week, in preparation for the grand opening in 2 weeks, they were asked to bring guests in for a meal.  We had to fill out a form listing exactly what we ate and what we thought of it.  We could have anything we wanted. When we got there, there was only the buffet, but it was definitely worth it.  There were a couple of disappointments.  The cream of chicken with wild rice soup had a strange aftertaste to it and the hoecakes were basically pancakes made with corn meal.  I've eaten hoecakes all my life and in my experience they were alway a little thicker, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  If you've never had them though, these were very good.  Everything else - mac & cheese, green beans, smashed potatoes, cheddar bacon biscuits, fried chicken, cajun pork tenderloin, rice salad, macaroni salad, chocolate chip gooey butter cake, peach cobbler, and rum cake with real whipped cream, was heavenly!!  I had a bite of everything and brought home 2 containers.  We ended the meal sharing a bowl of real, homemade banana pudding and coffee.  We laughed, ate till we couldn't take another bite, and had a wonderful evening.  Thank you, Mary for inviting me!!  Tonight she's taking her husband.  I hope they have as marvelous a time as we did.


I haven't gotten to do any stitching this week.  I crocheted a cocoon for my cousin's baby shower.  I'm working on Petite Christmas Angel, but haven't gotten enough stitches in for a progress pic. 

Well, that's it for today.  How was your week?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like scrumptious evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your job ends soon so you can have some sanity. How frustrating that her instructions weren't more clear for the letters.

    The cocoon is too cute. Congrats on finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Cocoon!!!! I think I would have just walked out right then. Paula Dean sounds YUMMMMMMYYYYY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! Yes, Paula Deen was absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crocheted cocoon is just darling Berly! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete